People always ask me what article of clothing has become my staple over the last few years, and the first item that truly springs to my mind is a pair of well-cut culottes. I feel effortless in them. They're equally stylish as they are comfortable, and they seem to work really well for my height (I'm only 5'2'') . As it turns out, they seem to be a flattering cut for all heights and all body shapes too, so I couldn't recommend them enough. They must, however, finish at your mid calf at least - any shorter and they'll verge on bermuda's, which is not so much a flattering look. When paired with the right materials, they can look very put together, and less casual, as well. Here are a few of my favourite pairs (I've managed to acquire quite the collection), how I style them, and why I love them.
1. The Navy-Blue Linen Culottes
Linen Culottes - Whistles (AW15) / Ankle Boots - Russell & Bromley / Navy Roll Neck - Nicole Farhi (Factory Outlet Sale) / Bag - Furla
Unbelievably soft to the touch, with an effortless flow to them, these linen culottes can be made to look casual, or more dressed up, depending on what you pair them with. The tie waist detail adds an extra bit of interest and structure.
2. The Frayed Denim Culottes
Denim Culottes - Topshop / Cropped Striped Jumper - Topshop / Coat - Joules / Bag - Furla / Ankle Boots - Russell & Bromley
An edgier pair, with a raw cut hem at the bottom. Looks cool with just about anything, and lengthens the leg even more with the super high waist.
3. The Black Floaty Culottes (a classic, summer piece)
Black Viscose Culottes - &OtherStories / White Shirt - Topshop / Leather Jacket - Reiss / Ankle Boots - Office / Sunglasses - Spitalfields Market / Bag - Longchamp
Culottes - Same as above / Roll Neck - Nicole Farhi (Factory outlet sale) / Pink Biker Jacket - Zara / Patent Ankle Boots - Topshop
The classic 'goes-with-anything- pair. Flatteringly skims over the legs and settles almost like a midi skirt due to the thick viscose material. The perfect Summer-trouser.
4. The Wide Leg Denim Trousers
Cropped Denim Trousers - Whistles (SS16) / Top - Primark / Sunglasses - Rayban / Shoes - Underground (creepers)
A more retro pair. Darker denim, eye-catching pocket details, and a longer length. Good for those who aren't as ready to venture into the shorter culotte region.
Where can I find them?
Here are a few links to my favourite culottes on the market at the moment.
1. The Denim Light Wash Pair: Similar to the ones from outfit #2. Classic nineties style and raw hem cut.
2. The Kooky Pair: Slim leg, classic black, but with a twist - who doesn't love pom-poms?
3. The Office Pair: Smart tapered leg, tie waist, with a mini check pattern. What could be more office appropriate (yet stylish)?
4. The Zip Pair: A classic wide leg cut, with a chunky metal zip. Simple, and chic.
5. The Salmon Pair: A floaty, satin-look pair, that add a statement colour to any outfit.